Diana Markessinis is a yoga instructor and fine artist specialising in sculpture.
ask an instructor – 10 questions
• the very first yoga class you attended? As a small little lady with my mom we walked to an old Victorian house in our neighborhood of Wilmington Delaware. I remember the sound of the pocket door sliding shut, deep breathing, and quiet organized movement in a full room of ladies.
• what is it about yoga that inspires you? The merging of our internal and external worlds, to explore and travel our internal world then the outside physical body world…it’s a lovely dance back and forth and eventually they merge and unite creating a one pointed focus, where all else falls away, in that peacefulness I get inspired
• what yoga item(s) could you not be without? I suppose my blocks, but honestly if they aren’t with me, I find something else, books, buckets, a railing, whatever is available to give me more space!
• your favorite post yoga class snack? Something juicy and refreshing like fresh veggie or fruit.
• what book would you recommend to a brand new student of yoga? Depends on that persons interests…Donna Farhi ‘bringing yoga to life’ has a nice overview or for a deeper level ‘the body has its reasons’ by Therese Bertherat
• if you could teach a class anywhere in the world, where would it be? On the floor of a soft forest on a sunny day.
– type of class you like to attend when you are not the instructor? Relaxation classes like Restoratives or Yin, as I practice this at home, but have to keep watch of the time, it’s luxurious to have someone else keeping track.
• favorite thing to do if not doing yoga? Being outside and creating objects.
• if you weren’t a yoga instructor? I’m an artist, my love and knowledge of yoga is to make this life fuller for myself and others.
• as a yoga instructor, what do you hope a new student takes away from your class? To simply feel better then when they arrived. Showing up on our mat is to be a witness to whatever is happening that day, and in theory as that awareness comes through we can better serve ourselves and therefore others.
To find out more about Diana’s yoga schedule and sculpture work visit her website http://www.dianamarkessinis.com
Diana teaches a weekly Yoga Fundamentals class at Inner Space yoga studio in Santa Ana.