How about a self care afternoon doing something creative by making your own miniature, travel yoga & meditation altar?
Whether you are traveling for a yoga retreat (lucky you) or you spend time on the road for business, our physical yoga practice is something we can always take with us. But how about our yoga altar?
Having an altar for our practice creates a dedicated place of focus for our yoga, meditation or mindfulness routine. This can be particularly useful when traveling to new places and living in unfamiliar spaces.
How about a little creativity time spent making your own pocket size altar to tuck in to your travel bag!
Our physical yoga practice is something we can always take with us. But how about our yoga altar?
Materials you will need
- A small tin such as an empty altoids tin or a similar one for craft projects
- Favorite wrapping paper or handmade paper of your choice. You only need a small amount. I chose Nepalese Lokta paper which is available in many colors and designs.
- Glue stick, double sided tape & scissors
- Meditation cards. These are some I made and stamped with craft stamps. you can write on them or stick your own typed mantras, favorite quotes or phrases.
- A matchbook from a restaurant or you can buy blank ones here (optional)
- Small bunch of sage (you can buy sage from this great etsy store). A little goes a long way.
So……….on to the fun bit……
Cut your paper to size by drawing around the tin base and lid. Stick on to the top and bottom surface of your travel altar tin
Cut an additional two for the inside of the lids. You can simply use the same template and trim to fit.
Having an altar for our practice creates a dedicated place of focus for our yoga, meditation or mindfulness routine.
Include a few matches for your sage and miniature candle but be sure to cut off a slither of the match striking surface and adhere to the back of your tin like I have here.
Alternatively, if you’re in a creative mood you can cover a matchbook with matching paper to make a set.
Be mindful that if you are traveling by plane that you don’t pack matches or matchbooks in your hand luggage! You can always pick up some matches at your destination.
What to include in your travel yoga tin
Fill your tin with your favorite and most inspiring items. I included:
- small amount of sage
- tea light candle
- precious stone
- a pendant that I love
- a small shell
- a feather
- handmade, watercolor meditation cards. I painted a handful and stamped phrases on them and kept others blank to add my own inspirations at a later date. You can buy a blank set here from yogaskinny’s sister Etsy store, maycontainpaper.
You can include whatever inspires you. Suggestions include
- photos of loved people or places
- yoga or nature imagery
- treasured pieces of jewelry
- favorite memento
- miniature ornament
- small aromatherapy oil
- incense cone
- small artworks
Once you are at your travel destination, pick a spot in your space to arrange your own mini altar with the contents of your travel tin.
I love a craft project and when it is yoga related I love it even more. See how your mini altar works out and then make some as gifts for friends and students.
Please know that I am an affiliate which means that I may make a small commission, at no extra cost to you, from any purchases you make via this blog post 🙂