Looking for an easy to understand yoga book?
Hatha Yoga Illustrated is a great book for any new student looking to find out a little more about yoga poses. I was gifted my copy many years ago and have often referred to it since.
It is a great visual reference with clear photos of many of the poses, or asanas, you will discover in a class setting. Each chapter is dedicated to a specific group of poses like standing, twists and balances making it an easy to use yoga pose reference.
It is a great visual reference with clear photos of many of the poses you will discover in a class setting.
If you want to know more about yoga in a broader sense, chapter one outlines its history alongside other aspects of yoga such as breathing techniques and meditation. All of the information in this first chapter is easy to dip in to if you’re interested but not critical to enjoy practicing the physical aspect of yoga
Here are some of the great things about this book…..
- clear photos of several poses for beginning students to advanced
- photos demonstrate the use of props i.e. blankets, blocks & straps to assist in poses and also illustrate alternative variations
- each pose is accompanied by a list of its physical and mental benefits along with any contraindications (when to avoid or adapt the pose according to any injuries or conditions you may have)
- at the back of the book you’ll find some easy to follow yoga routines
- the index shows a small photograph of the pose along with the pose name in English and the yogic description in Sanskrit (the ancient language used in yoga).
Whether it is your first yoga book purchase or you are expanding your collection, Hatha Yoga Illustrated makes a great addition to your bookshelf.